You read that correctly, a chocolate salami! But don’t be afraid, there’s no meat in this fun and simple dessert. Once it's done it truly looks like a big salami and the pistachios and ladyfingers look like spices and fat. It’s the perfect party dessert as your guests can cut their own slices directly on a cutting board. I guarantee this will be the talk of your party!
You can use pasteurized eggs if you wish. Tie a bit of string around the salami for extra effect! Will keep for 2 weeks in the fridge.
9 oz good-quality bittersweet chocolate
9 oz ladyfingers cookies
7 tablespoons soft butter
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons liqueur, I used pistachio liquer, but you could also use amaretto or chartreuse
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup California Shelled Pistachios, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or a microwave. Once melted and smooth set aside to cool a bit.
- Place all the lady fingers in a ziplock bag and beat them using a rolling pin. You want small pieces, not cookie dust.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time and beat them in well before adding a new one.
- Sift the cocoa powder over the chocolate and stir it gently in.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the butter and stir it well in together with liquor, cookies and pistachios.
- Place the bowl in the fridge to firm up a little, but make sure it does not get too hard. It should be fine after about 15 minutes.
- Add two large overlapping pieces of plastic wrap to your counter top and place the mixture on top.
- Use your hands and shape the chocolate into a large sausage. Wrap the clingfilm tight around and roll up the ends so that you get a large salami shape.
- Place in the fridge overnight.
- Take it out and remove the plastic. Use your hands and rub it in with powdered sugar which will make it look like a cured salami.
- Place on a cutting board and slice.
Made it? Tell us about it–