PUT A LID ON IT!
The essential guide to canning and preserving
Radishes are one of the joys of spring. Seeing the multi-colored orbs as I pull them out of the soil makes my heart sing. Their crunch makes them perfect for pickling.
YIELDS APPROXIMATELY 1½ QUARTS
1 small onion peeled, cubed 6 cloves garlic, peeled
1” ginger, peeled, sliced
2 tablespoons fish sauce
½ cup Korean coarse red
2 tablespoons rice flour
4 teaspoons sea salt
1 cup sliced scallions (about 3 pieces)
7 cups sliced radishes (approximately 2 lbs)
- Place the apple, onion, garlic, ginger and fish sauce in a food processor and pulse until finely minced. Set aside.
- Mix the red pepper flakes, rice flour, and sea salt together. (If mixing with your hands, be sure to wear rubber gloves to avoid chili burn.)
- Mix in the puréed onion mixture and combine.
- Add in the scallions and radishes and stir to combine, making sure all the radish pieces are coated with the spice mix.
- Pack kimchi in a tall container and smooth any remaining paste over the top.
- Cover with a loose lid and place in a cool place to ferment for 3 days to 2 weeks.
- Place in refrigerator and enjoy fresh! When the flavor becomes too sour (about 3 weeks depending on your palate), use in pancakes, hot pots, and fried rice.
Made it? Tell us about it–