This one is a real reminder of summer for me. The sweet jam is such a great mix with the buttery shortbread. You can add dried fruits and nuts too. The sauce is delicious and really easy to make.
Makes about 16 bars
1 1/2 sticks butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt
2 cups raspberry jam (I love Bonne Maman)
1 cup granulated sugar
6 tablespoons butter, salted
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- In a bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add the vanilla, flour, and salt, and mix until a smooth dough.
- Wrap in plastic and let rest in the fridge for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 360°F.
- Grease a 9x13” baking pan.
- Take mixture out of the fridge. Place half in the baking pan and keep the rest for the crumble on top.
- Prick the bottom with a fork.
- Spread the jam over and crumble the rest of the shortbread dough on top.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes or until golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Pour the sugar into a dry saucepan.
- Melt the sugar over medium-low heat. It will begin to get clumpy and then after a few minutes it will melt completely.
- Once the sugar is completely melted, carefully add butter in 1 tablespoon at a time. Be careful, as the sugar will boil up as you add the butter.
- Stir to combine the butter completely into the sugar.
- Finally, drizzle the cream into the caramel while you stir it. It will boil up and sputter. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Stir the mixture for about 1–2 minutes more, until it reaches your desired consistency. Be careful if you are tasting your caramel, because it’s super hot!
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Y ou can store it for up to 1 week in a sealed container in the fridge. You may want to microwave it slightly before serving or using it as a topping.
Made it? Tell us about it–