They taste like candy but contain no unhealthy ingredients! This DIY fruit leather is a perfect snack for kids and adults! This recipe is from the cookbook that my friend Sif Orellana wrote with her son Noah!
2 cups mixed blueberries and strawberries (frozen or fresh)
seeds from1 vanilla pod (or 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract)
3 to 4 tablespoons maple syrup, if you think the berries seem a bit too sour
- Blitz all the ingredients until smooth in a blender or food processor. If the purée seems very thick, you can add a couple of spoonfuls of orange juice. You should just be able to pour it from the blender, but it shouldn’t spread too quickly on the silicone baking mat (the best thing to use since it prevents the purée from sticking).
- Spread the purée across the entire mat in a 1⁄4” layer with a spatula.
- Make sure it’s completely even so that it doesn’t get too moist in some places and too brittle in others.
- Slide the mat onto a baking tray and bake the purée in the oven at 175°F for 6–8 hours. It’s done when the surface is no longer sticky and can easily be peeled off the silicone mat.
- Roll the warm “fruit leather” up, and cut the roll into 1” pieces.
- The roll-ups can be stored in an airtight plastic container in the fridge—that is if they don’t all get eaten right away. Such a great healthy treat!
Made it? Tell us about it–