This salad is perfect as a weeknight dinner or as a side for your next picnic or BBQ. I love a hearty rice salad but I also love the fresh and light zing from the citrus dressing. A healthy wonderful side dish or entree!
Serves 4 as a main, 6 as a starter
You will need:
1 cup wild rice, red or brown
4 cups vegetable stock
1 sprig mint
1 orange, just the rind
1 large head broccoli, cutinto florets
1⁄2 cup sultanas (golden raisins)
1 orange, zest and juice
6 spring onions, finely chopped
1⁄3cup olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
1⁄2 cup pecans, toasted
1 bunch mint, roughly chopped edible flowers, for garnish
- Rinse the rice in a sieve or colander under cold water.
- Place in a large saucepan and cover with the stock.
- Add the mint sprig and orange rind.
- Bring to a boil and cook according to packet instructions.
- About 5 minutes before the rice is cooked, pop the broccoli to the same pan of water.
- Steam for 5 minutes then drain, reserving 1⁄2 cup of the cooking liquid for the sultanas.
- In a bowl, mix together the orange juice and zest, spring onions, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Toss the warm rice in the bowl with orange dressing. Mix together and let cool. The rice will soak up all the lovely flavors of the dressing.
- Mix the cooking liquid with the sultanas and leave for 5 minutes to soak.
- Toss together the cooled broccoli, rice, toasted pecans, and mint.
- Garnish with edible flowers and tuck in!
Made it? Tell us about it–