In this recipe, eggplants are roasted and left whole, and paired with familiar Persian flavors: tangy yogurt, sweet caramelized onions, and bright sumac.
2 medium eggplants
1⁄3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon sumac
1½ cups Greek yogurt
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons lemon juice
salt, to taste
2 medium yellow onions
½ cup pomegranate seeds
1 tablespoon chopped mint, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cut eggplants in half, lengthwise, and brush with all of the olive oil.
- Season with salt, pepper, and sumac.
- Roast on a sheet pan until the eggplants are nicely browned. This will take about 30–45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix yogurt with minced garlic, cumin, lemon juice, and salt, and set aside.
- Peel and slice onions into ¼” slices.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat, and sauté onions until they are caramelized.
- Season with salt and set aside.
- Once the eggplants are roasted, top with caramelized onions, pomegranate, and mint, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Serve over the seasoned yogurt.
Made it? Tell us about it–