Potatoes, parsnips, yams, and carrots! We asked our friends Noah Fecks & Paul Wagtouicz to recreate a Thanksgiving meal from 1947 inspired by the classic food photography of Gourmet Magazine.
You will need:
3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
2 large yams, peeled and quartered
2 carrots, peeled and halved lengthwise
1 parsnip, peeled and halved lengthwise
4 to 5 tablespoons butter, to taste
4 tablespoons heavy cream
1⁄3 cup milk + more as desired
11⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss yams with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast in a shallow pan for 30 minutes or until soft and lightly browned.
- Boil potatoes, carrots, and parsnip until tender and drain.
- Combine all the vegetables in a large, sturdy bowl.
- Add butter and cream and mash with a masher or large fork, slowly incorporating milk to desired consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and dot with more butter.
Made it? Tell us about it–