Equally impressive as it is easy to make.
You will need:
5-6 ripe red plums, cut in half and pitted
1 cup sugar
3 sprigs rosemary
6 T butter, at room temp
¾ cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/3 Greek yogurt
zest of one lemon
½ t almond extract
1 cup plus 2 T flour
½ t baking powder
¼ t salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Generously butter a 9-inch glass pie plate and arrange the plums cut side down, cutting into smaller pieces to fit as necessary in the middle.
- In a small saucepan combine the granulated sugar with the rosemary sprigs and 1/3 cup water and cook over medium high heat until it turns a golden amber color, about 10 minutes. Swirl the pan occasionally without stirring.
- While the caramel sauce is cooking, make your batter. Cream the butter with brown sugar for 3 minutes. On low speed add the eggs one by one. Add the yogurt, lemon zest, and almond extract and mix until combined.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Slowly add to the batter on low speed and mix until just incorporated.
- When your caramel is done, discard the rosemary and pour evenly over the plums. Top the plums with the cake batter and spread to the edge.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until the cake is golden and a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 15 minutes and then invert the cake onto a large plate.
- Slice and serve with a dollop of sour cream if the spirit moves you.
Save a piece to have the next day with your morning coffee.
Made it? Tell us about it–