This is a Swedish classic. My take on it is to make the top crust a little salty. I love the taste of salty and sweet.
You will need:
1 1/2 cups almonds, sliced
3 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup milk
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
flaky sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the almonds on a baking tray and toast them golden, about 10 minutes. Cool.
- In a large bowl beat eggs and sugar until light and creamy.
- Add vanilla, butter, milk, flour, baking powder, and salt, and mix well.
- Pour into a 9” well-buttered cake tin.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until a wooden skewer comes out clean.
- 10 minutes before the cake is done, place butter, sugar, and milk in a pot and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 5 minutes then add the almonds.
- Spread the almond mixture on top of the cake, even it out with a spatula, and sprinkle with some flaky sea salt.
- Set the oven to 400°F and bake the cake for another 10 minutes. The top should be bubbly and golden.
- Cool on a wire rack. Use a very sharp knife to cut around the edge of the cake before it’s cold, as the praline top sets very quickly.
Made it? Tell us about it–