1 pound bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 cups heavy cream
For salted caramel filling:
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1/3 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon fleur de sel
For the cake:
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup hot water
- For the chocolate frosting: Place chocolate in a large bowl. Bring cream to a boil in a small saucepan and pour the h cream over the chocolate. Stir until it’s a smooth cream; cool.
- Next, make the salted caramel filling: Place sugar, water and corn syrup in a large saucepan on low heat and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- turn the heat up to medium and allow mixture to cook without stirring until the sugar turns a dark amber (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and pour in the cream. (It will bubble as you do so.) Stir well. Stir in butter and fleur de sel. let cool in the refrigerator.
- time for the cake: Place all ingredients in a large bowl and stir until the batter is smooth. Divide batter into two greased 9-inch cake pans.
- Bake at 350˚F for about 35 to 40 minutes, or until a wooden skewer comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Place one cake on a platter or a cake stand and spread the caramel cream over the cake. add the second layer of cake and finish off with a layer of the chocolate cream. Sprinkle with a little fleur de sel.
- Keep the cake refrigerated until ready to serve. (Keeps for at least four days if well covered.)
Made it? Tell us about it–