This hearty green thrives in the late growing season. It’s a variety of endive with a less bitter taste and larger leaves. The lighter the leaves, the less bitter.
3 sweet Italian sausages, removed from casings
2 slices brioche or white bread, diced
1 small head escarole, sliced
pinch of red chili flakes
salt and white pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons pine nuts
1 pound orecchiette (or another kind of pasta)
- Cook the sausage in a pan until golden, and add bread.
- Add pine nuts and escarole and cook until the escarole wilts.
- Season with chili, salt, and pepper.
- Cook the pasta al dente in salted water, drain, and place in a large bowl.
- Add the escarole mix, a little olive oil, and toss gently.
Made it? Tell us about it–