This braided loaf is a spin on a very classic Scandinavian cake. I love to make this every year when the weather first begins to get a bit cooler and you can turn on the oven again!
Makes 2 loaves
1 stick butter
2 cups milk
1 package dry yeast
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cardamom
6 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 teaspoons cinnamon
2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- Melt butter and milk in a small saucepan. Remove from the heat; stir in the yeast. Place sugar, cardamom and flour in a large bowl.
- Add the butter and milk mixture and knead until you have smooth dough. Cover and rise until it doubles in size, about 1 hour.
- Remove from bowl; cut into 6 equal parts. Roll them out (to approx. 20 inches long) and spread butter on each.
- Sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon and apples.
- Roll each part up to a long sausage shape. Compress the dough on top of 3 sausages to create a long-braided bread.
- Fasten well on each side.
- Do the same with the remaining 3 sausage shapes of dough.
- Transfer to a parchment paper-covered baking tray.
- Cover and let rise another 30 minutes. Beat egg and milk in a small bowl and brush each bread, to coat.
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake at 350 ̊F for about 30 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack and serve.
Made it? Tell us about it–