Scones with lilacs? Yes, please. This simple scone recipe has the loveliest spring flavor of lilacs.
Get tons of inspiration in Sweet Paul Magazine:
Makes 8 large scones
21⁄2 cups all purpose flour
1⁄3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
13⁄4 sticks butter, cold, cubed
1 cup milk
1 cup lilac flowers (only the flower itself, remove the green part)
- Preheat oven to 350oF.
- In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, and salt.
- Add the butter and work it in with your hands.
- Add milk and lilacs and work the dough fast together. Careful not to over work it.
- Use a rolling pin and roll it to a 1” dough.
- Cut into triangles.
- Place on a parchment-covered baking tray. Sprinkle with some extra sugar.
- Bake until golden, about 12–14 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with a light drizzle of a frosting made of confectioners’ sugar and water.
Made it? Tell us about it–