These biscuits use two types of levening and taste great!
4 cups self-rising flour
2 tablespoons sugar
Pinch of sea salt
½ cup shortening or lard
1 packet yeast
2 tablespoons warm water
1 teaspoon honey
2 cups buttermilk (or make alternate with vinegar and milk)
4 tablespoons melted butter for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- In a small bowl, add yeast, honey and water and mix well and set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut your shortening or lard into your dry ingredients using a pastry cutter or forks.
- Add milk or buttermilk and yeast mixture to your dry ingredients and mix just until everything is incorporated.
- Roll out dough into 1/2 inch thickness and use cookie cutters to cut out nice sized biscuits and put them on your lined baking sheet.
- Allow to rise in warm space for at least 15 minutes.
- Place in oven and bake 10-12 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and immediately brush or drizzle on a little bit of melted butter on each biscuit top.
- Serve immediately with lots of great butter and jam!
Made it? Tell us about it–