Nothing says DINNER to me like braised short ribs. They more or less make themselves. I serve them with mashed rutabaga and a nice green salad.
You will need:
3 lbs short ribs
salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons butter
2 onions, peeled and cut into wedges
2 carrots, sliced
2 whole garlic, tops cut off
a few springs of thyme+extra for garnish
1⁄2 cup dry sherry
2 cups beef broth
- Preheat oven to 360°F.
- Rub the meat with salt and pepper.
- Heat the butter in a pan, brown the meat on all sides, and place in an ovenproof dish.
- Sauté the onion and carrots for a few minutes and add to the meat.
- Add sherry to the pan and stir it well so you pick up all the flavor. Pour over the meat.
- Add beef stock, garlic, and thyme.
- Cover with foil and place in the oven for 3 hours. Lift off the foil now and then to see if it needs more broth in there.
- After 3 hours, remove the foil and cook for another 15 minutes.
Made it? Tell us about it–