Easy to make, these buttery shortbread pine trees are great for gifts.
Makes about 20
For the trees:
11⁄2 cups all purpose flour
22⁄3 cups rice flour
1⁄2 cup super fine sugar
pinch of salt
9 oz cold butter, coarsely chopped
1⁄4 cup white nonpareils
For the icing:
1 egg white
11⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Line 4 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, rice flour, sugar, and salt in medium mixing bowl.
- Use your fingertips to rub butter through dry ingredients until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Turn onto a lightly floured bench and knead until smooth.
- Roll dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper until 1⁄4” thick.
- Use a 4” pine tree cookie cutter to cut out 24 shapes.
- Place onto prepared trays, allowing a little room between each cookie.
- Bake for 40–45 minutes or until shortbreads start to change color.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on trays.
- Spread each cookie with icing and sprinkle with nonpareils whilst icing is still wet.
- For the icing, place egg white into a small mixing bowl; use a fork to beat until foamy.
- Gradually beat in icing sugar with a wooden spoon until icing is smooth and thick.
- Cover with a damp tea towel until ready to use.
Made it? Tell us about it–