Introduce your grill to the flavors of South Africa this summer!
Sosaties are skewered meat, usually made with lamb. They are beyond delicious with apricot and basil.
½ cup apricot jam
1 cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup apricot nectar
3 tablespoons curry powder
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon allspice
pinch of cayenne
fresh bay leaves
salt and pepper, to taste
1½ lbs boneless leg of lamb, cut into 1" cubes
½ lb dried apricots
- Combine the jam, vinegar, apricot nectar, curry powder, garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin, allspice, and one bay leaf in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Stir well, and take off the heat and let cool completely.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, add the lamb and the marinade, reserving some for basting.
- Toss to coat.
- Refrigerate and marinate for at least 2 hours.
- In another bowl, cover the apricots with boiling water and let sit for about an hour, until they have plumped up to almost double the size.
- Soak wooden skewers in water for at least a half hour.
- Thread the lamb and apricot onto the skewers, using folded fresh bay leaves in between.
- Grill for about 10–15 minutes, basting with marinade, until the lamb is medium rare.
I love lamb, but you could certainly swap in beef or chicken into this recipe!
Made it? Tell us about it–