A simple and classic meal that every kid loves!
You will need:
2 pounds fresh tomatoes or 1 can (28 oz) of diced tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 medium onion 1 glove garlic, minced
1 tbsp cane sugar
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
10 leaves fresh basil
for the meatballs:
1⁄2 pound ground beef
1⁄2 pound ground pork
1 dry bun
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 small onion, minced
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
lemon juice, to taste
- Heat oil in a medium pan. Add the onions and stir until it gets soft.
- Now add the garlic and once it begins to colour lightly and fills the kitchen with aromatic scent stir in the tomatos with their juices and tomato paste.
- Season the sauce with salt, freshly ground pepper, sugar and balsamic vinegar.
- Reduce heat and leave to simmer gently, uncovered, stirring often for 30 minutes until the sauce reduces and thickens slightly.
- Stir in the basil leaves and taste.
- For the meatballs: In the meanwhile soak the bun in water until its completely soft, squeeze dry and break into pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the onions and stir until golden.
- Now combine the ground meat, the bread, the eggs, onions and the parsley in a bowl.
- Season with salt, pepper and some squirts of lemon.
- Roll the mixture into small balls and set aside on a plate.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium high heat.
- Fry meatballs slowly until golden brown, but not cooked through completely.
- Let drain on paper towels and add into your hot tomato sauce.
- Cook pasta 15 minutes before serving until al dente and serve with tomato sauce and meatballs.
Made it? Tell us about it–