A robust collection of spices make this bird sing!
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon sichuan pepper or red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
4 teaspoons Maldon sea salt
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon ground garlic
6 tablespoons butter
1 large organic turkey, about 10 lb
olive oil salt & pepper to taste
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups white wine
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Toast the dry spices in a dry pan and crush them in a mortar with salt, ginger, garlic, and butter.
- Prepare the turkey, fill it with stuffing, and tie the legs together with kitchen twine.
- Place the spice butter underneath turkey breast skin.
- Rub the whole bird with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place the turkey in a roasting pan with chicken broth and white wine.
- Roast for 30 minutes, take out, and baste. Lower the heat to 325ºF and roast for another 3 hours.
- Baste every 30 minutes. The breast should be 165ºF when cooked. Let stand 30 minutes before cutting.
- Pour the cooking juices into a saucepan and simmer until you have a nice thick sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Made it? Tell us about it–