This is a hearty lentil dish complimented nicly by the mustard greens.
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 cup lentils du puy, picked over and rinsed
3 cups chicken stock
bouquet garni (few sprigs thyme, parsley, and a bay leaf tied together with kitchen twine)
salt & pepper to taste
1 bunch mustard greens, ribs removed and torn into pieces
4 eggs (optional)
- Heat a medium pot over medium heat.
- Add a splash of olive oil and add the onion, carrots, and celery.
- Sauté the vegetables until just tender.
- Add the lentils, chicken stock, and bouquet garni.
- Bring to a simmer and keep at a low simmer until the lentils are tender but still hold their shape, about 20 or 25 minutes.
- Remove the bouquet garni and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat a medium saute pan over medium heat.
- Add a good splash of olive oil to the pan and add the mustard greens for a quick sauté.
- Season with salt and pepper, and remove from the heat once they have started to wilt.
- Place the wilted mustard greens over the stewed lentils.
- Serve with a fried or poached egg, if desired.
Made it? Tell us about it–