A classic recipe for sticky buns from Taylor & Mark Foster of Fosterbuilt Coffee in the Catskills!
2 cups warm milk, 110°F
1 oz active dry yeast
9 cups all-purpose flour
6 oz sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
2 lbs butter, room temperature
2 egg yolks
- Mix milk and yeast, and let stand for 3 minutes.
- Add flour, sugar, salt, cardamom, and 8 tablespoons butter in a mixer with dough hook, and mix for 3 minutes.
- Add the yeast milk and mix well.
- Mix in eggs and egg yolks
- Place the dough in a bowl, cover, and place in fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 380°F.
- Roll out to a large rectangle, about ¼” thick.
- Smear butter on ²⁄3 of the dough and sprinkle with rest of the sugar.
- Roll up to a long sausage and cut it into 1" thick slices.
- Place the slices on a parchment papercovered baking tray and let them rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 30–40 minutes.
- Mix confectioners’ sugar and water until a thick glaze forms. Drizzle over the buns while warm.
Made it? Tell us about it–