A hint of honey and lavender in this classic strawberries and cream combo adds a divine twist to everyone’s favorite layer cake!
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup canola oil
1⁄2 cup Greek yogurt
3 large eggs, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
11⁄2 cups buttermilk
1⁄2 cup good quality strawberry jam
11⁄3 cups fresh strawberries, hulls removed and sliced
lavender-infused cream (recipe below)
insecticide-free, fresh flowers and strawberry leaves for decoration
4 strawberries, hulls removed and halved for decoration
branch and faux bird for decoration (optional)
For the cream:
1 cup heavy cream + 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, divided
1 tablespoon honey
11⁄2 teaspoons dried lavender buds
1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the cake: Preheat oven to 350oF. Grease and line the base and sides of three 3-inch x 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and baking powder together. Stir in salt, and set aside.
- Place oil, yogurt, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and buttermilk into a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until well combined. Add flour and mix until just combined.
- Spoon mixture into prepared cake pans and spread tops evenly using the back of a wet spoon.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cake centers spring back when touched lightly with a fingertip.
- Let cake cool in pans for 5 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- If cake tops are domed, slightly trim each one until level using a serrated knife. Place bottom layer on serving platter.
- Between each layer of cake, spread 1/2 the jam over the cake, leaving 1/2 inch around the edge. Then spread 1⁄3 the lavender cream over jam. Arrange half the sliced strawberries evenly over cream. Repeat.
- Place the top layer of cake. Spread remaining cream over top of cake. Decorate with fresh flowers, strawberry leaves, strawberry halves, a branch, and faux bird.
- For the lavender cream: Combine 1 cup of cream and honey in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until it just starts to simmer.
- Remove from heat and stir in lavender. Allow to stand for 30 minutes.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a medium mixing bowl. Discard lavender. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Stir in sugar, vanilla, and remaining 1/2 cup of cream. Using an electric mixer, beat until cream is thick and soft peaks form.
Made it? Tell us about it–