This quiche-like pie is very traditional in Sweden! you can customize the pie with whatever you like!
You will need:
1 ¼ cup plain flour
dash of pepper
1 stick salted butter
2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
2 tablespoons butter
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 cup chanterelles or other mushrooms, cleaned
4 large eggs
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups grated Västerbotten cheese + 1/2 cup for topping (see "tip" below)
1 tablespoon chopped thyme
salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, mix flour and pepper.
- Add the butter and quickly work it into the flour using your fingers. The result should be a grainy texture.
- Add water and work dough together quickly.
- Roll dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Take it out and roll or press it into a 9-inch tart tin.
- Prick the bottom with a fork.
- Place tin in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake the tart shell for 12 to 15 minutes, and then let cool.
- In a pan, melt butter and saute onions soft.
- Ad chanterelles and sautee until they start to get golden.
- Place the mixture in the pre baked pie shell.
- In a bowl, mix eggs, cream, cheese, thyme , salt and pepper.
- Pour over the pie and top with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake until golden and set, about 30 minutes at 350.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve cold.
You can usually find Västerbotten cheese at your local IKEA, but if you can't find it you can substitute a very sharp cheddar instead.
Made it? Tell us about it–