It’s not a real Swedish Christmas without this thin, crunchy, and spicy cookie.
Makes about 60
You will need:
1½ cups dark molasses
1 cup packed brown sugar
²⁄3 cup cold water
1⁄3 cup shortening
7 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground allspice
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- Mix together molasses, brown sugar, water, and shortening in a pot.
- Heat until the shortening has melted, then let cool.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, allspice, ginger, cloves, and cinnamon. Add to sugar mixture and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Roll dough ¼” thick on floured board.
- Cut with floured cookie cutters.
- Place about 2” apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10–12 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- To store cookies, keep in a tin with a closed lid.
Made it? Tell us about it–