It's not Christmas in Norway without gravlax!
Get holiday inspiration here:
two salmon fillets, similar in size, skin on (weighing about 3 lbs total)
large bunch fresh dill
1/4 cup Kosher (or pickling) salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons crushed black peppercorns
lemon wedges, for garnish
- Lay both halves of fish on plate.
- Sprinkle each fillet with black pepper.
- Place one half of fish skin side down in glass dish. Top with dill.
- Sprinkle salt and sugar over dill.
- Top with other half of fish, skin-side up.
- Cover with plastic wrap first, then foil.
- Place a board and weight on top of the fish.
- Refrigerate 72 hours, turning salmon and basting every 12 hours with accumulated juices.
- Discard marinade. Lift away any excess dill remaining on fish.
- Slice thinly on the diagonal.
- Garnish with lemon wedges. Accompany with black bread.
Black Bread or Pumpernickel is the perfect pairing for gravlax!
Made it? Tell us about it–