2.5 cups cream
2 cups milk
1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
8 large egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup strong coffee
1/4 cup amaretto
- Put cream, milk and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Heat until hot, but not boil.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Put yolks, sugar and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until the mixture has tripled in size.
- Reduce the speed and pour the milk slowly into it.
- Transfer the mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Pour the mixture trough a mesh sieve into a bowl set in ice water bath.
- Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker.
- In the mean time, place the ladyfingers on a plate and drizzle with coffee and amaretto.
- When the ice cream is ready, layer it in a bowl with ladyfingers and chocolate sauce.
- Finish with a drizzle of the sauce.
- Freeze until set and serve.
Made it? Tell us about it–