This tart is an instant classic, the crust is an amazing combination of the flavors from both almonds and ground pepper. In season, I love to use heirloom tomatos. You can make this year-round, but it's best when the tomatos are at their sweetest!
Makes 1 Tart
Almond and Pepper Crust:
1 cup allpurpose flour
1/4 cup almond flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (I like my coarse)
1 stick cold butter, in pieces
ice cold water
1 cup fresh ricotta
1/3 cup torn basil leafs
salt and pepper
sliced heirloom tomatoes
1/2 cup basil stalks and all
1/2 garlic clove
1/3 cup olive oil
- For the crust, place regular flour, almond flour, salt, pepper and butter in a large bowl.
- Use your hands and work the butter into the flour, the mixture should be crumbly and grainy.
- Add ice water,just a little at a time until the dough holds together.
- Wrap in plastic and let it rest in the fridge for 1 hour. (You can make it a few days beforehand if you want)
- Roll it out between two sheets of parchment paper and cover a well greased tart pan.
- Prick the bottom with a fork and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Bake at 380F for about 15 minutes or until golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- For the filling, in a bowl mix ricotta and basil, season with salt and pepper and spread on top of the tart crust.
- Add the tomatoes on top.
- In a blender, blend together basil, garlic and oil, and salt to taste.
- Drizzle the oil over the tart and serve.
Made it? Tell us about it–