Bill Hovard says: "I learned this recipe from my dear friend Isabella in the Tuscan hills outside Siena Italy. A classic Italian side dish."
3 bulbs fennel, scrubbed, cleaned
6 cups homemade chicken stock
salt and pepper, to taste
extra virgin olive oil
1⁄4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Fully wash and trim the fennel bulbs.
- Trim off the tops of the fennel and set aside. Leave enough of the base in tact so the fennel retains its form.
- Cut the bulbs lengthwise (top to bottom) into pieces approximately 1” thick.
- In a pan, parboil the fennel in chicken stock until slightly tender. Strain and retain the stock.
- Place the braised fennel into a pan or cast iron dish that is lightly coated with extra virgin olive oil.
- Pour about 1⁄2 cup of the chicken stock over the fennel, salt, pepper, and cover with 1⁄4 cup of Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Finely chop some of the fennel tops and sprinkle over the dish for added fennel flavor.
- Place in the oven and cook until the top is golden brown, approximately 20–30 minutes.
Made it? Tell us about it–