Nothing's better than bacon-wrapped shrimp... except bacon-wrapped shrimp with a fabulous cherry cola sauce!
This recipe was developed by the amazing Valerie Bertinelli for her book Valerie’s Home Cooking! BUY THE BOOKHERE!
Read my Fall 2017 Issue:
11/2 tablespoons bacon drippings
1/2 large red onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
2 cups cherry cola soft drink
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup ketchup
16 extra-large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed (about 12 ounces)
1 jalapeño chili, stem removed, seeded, and cut lengthwise into 16 thin strips
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
8 bacon slices, halved crosswise
- For the BBQ SAUCE: Heat the bacon drippings in a small saucepan over medium-high. Add the Make Ahead: The BBQ sauce will hold up to 2 weeks in the fridge. If you’re prepping for a party, the shrimp can be wrapped ahead of time and cooked later. Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Shrimp with Cherry Cola BBQ Sauce 128 SWEETPAULMAG.COM FALL 2017 FOLLOW US @SWEETPAULMAGAZINE onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped garlic, and cook, stirring often, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the salt, garlic powder, and dry mustard, and cook, stirring often, until the spices are toasted and fragrant and the onions are a deep maroon color, about 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the cherry cola and vinegar, and cook, stirring often, about 2 minutes. Stir in the ketchup.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, and cook until reduced to about 2 cups and the mixture coats the back of a spoon, 12 to 15 minutes.
- For the SHRIMP: Heat a cast-iron skillet or grill pan over medium. Cut a long 1/4-inch-deep slit in the inner curve of each shrimp; insert 1 jalapeño strip. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Wrap each shrimp tightly with 1 bacon piece. Set on a plate, seam sides down.
- Place the bacon-wrapped shrimp, seam sides down, in the hot skillet, and cook, turning occasionally, until the bacon is crisp and the shrimp are just cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Serve the shrimp with the BBQ sauce.
If you’re someone who loves their bacon in the morning, start saving the drippings in a jar for uses like this one!
Made it? Tell us about it–