Get tons of inspiration in Sweet Paul Magazine:
2 cups milk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the molds
1 vanilla bean, scraped
1 tablespoon dried lavender
½ cup+1 tablespoon flour
2 cups sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon whiskey
2 canelé molds
- In a medium pot, bring milk, butter, vanilla bean, and lavender to boil.
- Remove from the heat and let steep for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk the flour, sugar, salt, and eggs.
- Strain the warm milk mixture, slowly whisking it into the flour mixture.
- Stir in the whiskey.
- Let this cool in the fridge until chilled, about an hour. If you want to speed up the chilling process, set your bowl over an ice bath and stir occasionally for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 500°F.
- Place 2 canelé molds on a large baking sheet and lightly brush them with melted butter.
- Pour the batter ²⁄3 of the way up each mold.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Lower the oven to 375°F and continue baking for 1 hour until your canelés are golden brown.
- Turn out onto wire racks while hot and cool to room temperature.
Made it? Tell us about it–