Jackfruit has a meat-like texture and is fabulous when paired with curry! This recipe is from the fabulous Lori Stern!
Get tons of inspiration here:
Text by Lacey Taylor and Photography by Brandon Harman
FOR LORI STERN, nature and art have always been intrinsically connected. The markers of her childhood in Ojai, California, are a big front yard, fruit trees, her family’s garden, and her very own tree house in which to sit and take them all in. Her first venture into the creative realm was through an easel her parents gave her as soon as she was able to reach the canvas. She would sit outside and paint for hours finding inspiration in, and often incorporating materials from, the natural beauty surrounding her. These days, you’re more likely to find Lori with her beloved chef’s knife in hand, whipping up a multicolored masterpiece with vegetables from a Southern Californian farmers market and exotic herbs from her own garden or scouring a Brooklyn flea market for materials to use in the upcycled crop tops she sews — her favorite creative outlet outside of the kitchen. But the bonds connecting Lori to the world around her are still very much present in her work. Just as important to her as the food she puts on the table is the impact her creations have on the earth and the communities to whom she’s serving. She prioritizes working with local farmers, using seasonal and organic ingredients, and implementing waste reduction and water conservation practices at every opportunity. She may no longer be surveying the world from her childhood tree house, but one look at the flower-covered cakes and vibrantly-hued meals she creates lays bare the fact that she is still taking it all in.
MAKES 2 DOZEN SANDWICHES
1 jar raw jackfruit
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 tablespoon heaping raw ginger root, minced
1 large shallot, sliced
1 tablespoon raw garlic, minced
11/2 tablespoon mild curry powder
1/2 cup organic coconut milk (full fat)
3 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise (I like the soy-free grapeseed oil variety)
4 stalks celery, chopped
1 small green apple, peeled and chopped
handful of dried currants
handful of organic flower petals, such as roses, violas, pansies, marigolds, calendulas
1 loaf vegan organic white bread (or your favorite thinly sliced bread), cut into 3-inch x 4-inch squares
- Drain and rinse jackfruit. Cut into small chunks, set aside.
- Coat a medium-sized sauté pan with coconut oil, and heat on medium to low.
- Sauté shallot for a minute or so, then add ginger and garlic until fragrant but not burned.
- Add curry powder sautéing for another minute, then add in jackfruit until all liquid is evaporated and mixture is coated with curry. Add coconut milk, and cook until liquid is partially evaporated. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool to room temp.
- Then add vegan mayonnaise to the jackfruit curry and mix until combined. Add chopped celery, apple, currants, and a touch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the jackfruit curry on the sliced bread, and press on another piece of bread to make a sandwich. Dip 2 sides of the sandwich into your bowl of edible flower petals. Repeat to make as many finger tea sandwiches as you’d like.
You can even buy jackfruit at Trader Joe's now!
Made it? Tell us about it–