This loaf recipe is great for bake sales!
Serves 8 to 10
3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots
1 cup water
11⁄2 cups wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 cup brown sugar
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 large egg
1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts for the top of the loaves
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Grease 4 mini loaf pans (that hold about 2 cups of batter per loaf) or one 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- In a small saucepan, place coarsely chopped apricots and water.
- Bring to a simmer, then remove pan from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl stir together wheat flour, baking soda, salt, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl whisk together egg, vegetable oil, vanilla, orange zest, orange juice, and the apricot mixture.
- Slowly add the flour mixture. Fold until all dry ingredients are moistened.
- Add the coarsely chopped walnuts, stirring just a few times to distribute walnuts into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the mini loaf pans, about 3⁄4 of the way full.
- Evenly distribute the chopped walnuts on top of each mini loaf.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If using a 9 x 5 loaf pan bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes before taking the loaf out to cool completely on the rack.
Made it? Tell us about it–