An earthy treat that will keep you going through chilly autumn evenings.
You will need:
26 oz root vegetables (such as carrots, black salsify, beetroots, and golden beets)
3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 cups marinated beans (recipe below)
4 tablespoons bean marinade
5 oz feta cheese
1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds, toasted wild Italian arugula or fresh herbs, to garnish
2 cups cooked beans, preferably 2–3 different varieties
1⁄4 cup fresh herbs, finely chopped
1 small red onion
2 cloves garlic
4 tablespoons apple cider honey vinegar
1⁄4 cup grapeseed oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon organic dried herbs, ground
juice from 1⁄2 an organic lemon, plus grated peel
- For the marinated beans, Peel and finely chop the onions.
- combine with the vinegar, oil, spices, lemon juice, and lemon peel.
- add the cooked and drained beans and any herbs you like.
- cover the beans with cling wrap and let them marinate in a cool place, overnight.
- For the salad, Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel and chop the root vegetables into cubes of the same size.
- cover an oven sheet with parchment paper and arrange the root vegetable cubes on the sheet.
- Drizzle them with the oil, vinegar, and sugar, then season with salt and pepper.
- Roast on the oven’s middle rack for around 40 minutes, flipping them occasionally.
- when the roots are tender, take them out of the oven and combine with the marinated beans.
- Place the bean and vegetable mixture on a serving platter and drizzle the bean marinade over them.
- Scatter crumbled feta and sunflower seeds over the vegetables.
- Finish the dish off with a handful of herbs.
Made it? Tell us about it–