Makes 6-8 servings
zest of 1 lemon (without the white pith)
1” piece peeled ginger
1 teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon ground cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
1 bottle white wine
1⁄2 cup apple juice
1⁄2 cup sugar
1⁄2 cup Calvados (optional)
nuts and raisins for serving
- Put the lemon zest, ginger, spices, white wine, apple juice, and sugar into a pan.
- Heat gently until steaming but not boiling.
- Taste—add sugar if you prefer a sweeter drink.
- Sieve the spices off and add the Calvados, if wanted.
- Pour the drink into glasses. Serve with nuts (like almonds) and raisins.
Don't have Calvados? Brandy or applejack is a perfect substitute.
Made it? Tell us about it–