Layers of rich and fudgy brownies, sweet and crisp meringue, and espresso whipped cream! The cake and meringue layers are baked at the same time and the center is just barely set to give it a pudding-like wonderfulness.
Now it’s not ME who claims this to be “world’s best”... it’s a Norwegian thing. The “World’s Best Cake” is a traditional Norwegian cake that stacks layers of eggy sponge cake, meringue and pastry cream or whipped cream. I’ve put my own twist on it by using a brownie base and flavoring my cream with instant coffee powder. The results are divine!
Some notes: First, you could spike the whipped cream with a bit of Kahlua if you wanted! Booze in cake is GREAT! Second, you can totally use a brownie mix if you’d like. Just make sure it’s for a 9x13 pan.
Here’s my traditional version of World’s Best Cake: World’s Best Recipe
Presented by my friends at BAKED.
1 recipe of your favorite brownie batter for a 9x13 pan.
THIS ONE from King Arthur Flour is fab!
5 egg whites
1 cup sugar
Espresso Whipped Cream
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon instant coffee or espresso granules
A chunk of good chocolate for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, with a rack in the middle position. Line an 9-x-13-inch baking pan with parchment paper. I recommend not using glass pans, use metal.
- Prepare brownie batter according to recipe or package instructions.
- Spread batter evenly over the parchment in the bottom of your pan.
- In a medium bowl or stand mixer, beat together egg white and sugar to soft peaks.
- Spread evenly across the top of the brownie batter layer in the pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until meringue is nicely toasted, puffed, and crinkly. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- When the cake is cool, put the cream in a medium bowl and add sugar and coffee granules. Beat to soft peaks with an electric mixer, about 3 minutes.
- Cut the cake in half crosswise with a serrated knife. Place one half of the cake on a serving tray and cover with the cream. Place the other half, meringue side up, on top. Spread another layer of whipped cream on top.
- Let the cake sit for 1 hour in the fridge before serving. Shave some chocolate on top before serving using a carrot peeler.
Made it? Tell us about it–