Zesty Apple Chutney perfect to pair with your favorite cheeses! This also makes a fabulous food-gift!
Makes four 1 cup jars
4 large apples
1 3⁄4 cups malt vinegar 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
1 1⁄2 cups dried dates, figs and apricot, chopped
1 1⁄2 cups golden raisins
1⁄2 cup candied ginger, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon freshly-grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
8 whole cloves (or ground if you prefer not to remove after cooking)
2 organic oranges, juice and freshly grated zest
- Core and peel apples and cut into chunks
- Bring apples and half of the vinegar to a boil in a saucepan.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the apple pieces have softened.
- Add remaining ingredients to the saucepan and return to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer once again for 30 minutes, or until the mixture is thickened.
- Let cool.
- Remove all 8 cloves, if you have chosen to use whole ones.
- Spoon chutney into sterilized jars and seal tightly.
- Chutney is best when it has had a while to sit (about 3 weeks) so that flavors can fully develop.
Made it? Tell us about it–