I love a classic pound cake. When my friends at Sipp asked me to create an autumn recipe using one of their fabulous sparkling organic sodas, I just knew that I had to feature their Zesty Orange flavor.
1 1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
thinly sliced orange, lime, and jalapeño
For the cake:
zest of 1 orange
zest of one lime
1 teaspoon jalapeño, minced or grated
3 sticks butter
3 cups sugar
5 whole eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup Sipp Zesty Orange Organic Soda
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- To make the candied citrus and jalapeño, dissolve the sugar in water in a frying pan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add the thin slices of citrus and jalapeño to the pan and simmer for about 10–15 minutes.
- Carefully remove the slices from the syrup, and allow to cool and harden on a wire rack for several hours to overnight.
- For the cake, zest the orange and lime, shred a teaspoon of jalapeño, and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar for about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing in between.
- Add vanilla, zests, and jalapeño, and mix.
- Add flour, 1 cup at a time, mixing in between.
- Finally, add the soda and mix well, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Pour into a greased bundt pan, and bake about 1 hour until cake is solid and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Invert cake onto a plate, and allow to cool completely.
- Garnish cake with candied orange and jalapeño and serve.
Made it? Tell us about it–