A simple apple dessert with a fabulous sweet walnut crumble!
6 ounces all-purpose flour
3 1/2 ounces cold butter, in pieces
2 ounces sugar 1 egg yolk
1 pinch of salt
6 medium-sized apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1/2 cup apricot jam
3 tablespoons melted butter
FOR THE WALNUT TOPPING:
1 cup walnuts, chopped
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- Place flour, butter, sugar, eggs, and salt in a large bowl, and use your hands to work it all together. If the dough seems dry, just add a little water.
- Wrap in plastic and leave in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Press the dough into a buttered 10-inch pie tin, making sure the dough is well up the sides of the tin.
- Fill the crust with jam and then the apples.
- Brush apples with the melted butter, and bake for 40 minutes or until done and golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- For the topping: Mix water, sugar, and cinnamon in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer until the sugar has dissolved.
- Stir in the walnuts, mixing well.
- Pour the mixture over the apple tart and serve a la mode.
Made it? Tell us about it–