Blackberries and lemon zest give this tiramisu a refreshing makeover. Swap in your favorite berries or fruit to put your own spin on this recipe!
4 egg yolks
1⁄2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
16 oz mascarpone (or 2 containers of 8 oz), at room temp
1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
1 cup espresso, freshly brewed and warm
1⁄2 cup Kahlua
14 oz Italian Ladyfingers (you won’t need a full pack)
12 oz blackberries
zest of 1 lemon
- Beat egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl for 3 minutes with a hand mixer.
- set bowl over a pot of simmering water and continue to beat until the mixture expands and gets thick. this will take around 4–5 minutes.
- remove from heat and beat in the mascarpone until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold 2⁄3 of the cream into the mascarpone mixture and chill. Set aside the other 1⁄3.
- Combine the espresso and Kahlua in a shallow dish.
- Dip each Ladyfinger in the espresso mixture until lightly saturated. Use them to layer the bottom of a deep 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish.
- Top the first cookie layer with half the mascarpone mixture and all the blackberries. Top with another layer of saturated Ladyfingers and the remaining mascarpone.
- Finish the top with the remaining whipped cream and grate lemon zest directly overtop
- Cover loosely and chill for at least an hour.
- To serve, allow to come to room temperature, scoop onto plates, and serve with a side of espresso.
Made it? Tell us about it–