Spiced molasses cookies with almonds, a treat from Denmark!
This is a wonderful spicy dark cookie. Very typical scandinavian with molasses and clove. The secret here is the added lemon zest, it really brings out the spice flavors.
Makes 40 cookies
1/2 cup molasses
5 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons salted butter
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
grated zest from 1 lemon
40 blanched almonds
- Place molasses, sugar and butter in a sauce pan and heat up.Do not boil.
- Once the sugar has dissolved remove from heat and cool a little.
- Place flour, baking soda, spices and zest in a bowl with a mixer.
- Pour in the molasses and mix for 3 minutes.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and let it rest in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 400F.
- Roll out the dough thin in a little flour and cut out small round cookies using a round cookie cutter. Can also use a glass.
- Place on a baking tray covered with parchment paper.
- Press an almond into each cookie and bake for 5 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Store the cookies in a sealed tin.
Made it? Tell us about it–