A deliciously moist gingerbread cake with fluffy cream cheese frosting, decorated with a forest theme to include a twig pom-pom bunting.
5 ounces whole milk
2 tablespoons molasses
12⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 pinches ground cloves
11⁄4 cups brown sugar pinch salt
2 large eggs
5 ounces vegetable oil
7 ounces buttermilk
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
3/4 cup butter, softened
11⁄2 cups pure powdered sugar, sifted 11⁄2 cups cream cheese, at room temperature, chopped
5 small pom-poms
a length of yarn
small plastic rabbit and deer toys sifted powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and line three 6-inch round cake pans with parchment paper.
- Place milk and molasses into a medium saucepan. Stir over a medium-low heat until well combined. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves into a large mixing bowl. Stir in brown sugar and salt.
- Combine eggs, oil, buttermilk, and milk mixture in a separate bowl. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Divide evenly between prepared cake tins. Bake in preheated oven for 30–35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of cakes comes out clean.
- Remove from oven; allow to cool in tins for 5 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely. (Cakes may be made a day in advance and kept in airtight containers.)
- For the frosting, Place butter and sugar into a medium-mixing bowl. Beat until light and fluffy using an electric mixer, about 5 minutes.
- Add cream cheese and beat until smooth.
- To assemble, If cake tops are domed, slightly trim each one straight using a serrated knife.
- Place the first cake onto a serving plate or cake stand. Spread a thick layer of frosting over cake then repeat with remaining cakes, leaving about 1⁄2-cup of frosting to decorate top and sides.
- Spread a thin layer of frosting on top of cake and then, using a flat bladed knife, spread a thin layer of frosting around sides of cake, allowing the cake to still be seen through frosting.
- to decorate, Thread the pom-poms onto a small length of yarn using a darning needle.
- Tie bunting to the 2 twigs. Press twigs with bunting into the top of cake.
- Arrange plastic rabbit and deer on cake top. Dust with powdered icing to imitate snow if desired.
Made it? Tell us about it–