These charming cookies bring a little of the outdoors in!
Makes about 60
1 1⁄2 cups dark molasses
1 cup packed brown sugar
2⁄3 cup cold water
1⁄3 cup shortening
7 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground allspice
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease 1 cookie sheet.
- Mix together molasses, brown sugar, water, and shortening.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, allspice, ginger, cloves, and cinnamon.
- Add mixtures together, and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Roll dough ¼-inch thick on a floured board.
- Cut with floured pinecone-shaped cutter. Place about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10–12 minutes.
- Let cool and serve with a dusting of confectioner's sugar.
Made it? Tell us about it–