My weeknight lentil soup is comforting like chili, and totally vegetarian! I love to use the herbed sour cream on any soup or a baked potato even.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
1 large carrot, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
2 cups dried lentils
1 14-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
4 to 6 cups vegetable stock
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
salt and pepper
Herbed Sour Cream:
2 cups sour cream
1/2 teaspoon dried dill
1 teaspoon dried chives
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
pinch of salt
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Sauté onion, carrot, and celery until onions start to become translucent.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, and vegetable stock. Start with 4 cups, and add more if the soup gets to thick.
- Add cumin and paprika to soup.
- Let the soup simmer for 1 hour, or until the lentils are done.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- For the herbed sour cream, combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add a dollop of cream on each bowl of lentil soup.
Made it? Tell us about it–