I have a child-like affection for ice pops. As a kid, I loved slowly taking them out of the wrapper and then devouring them, and that love has not lessened with age.
¾ cup blanched almonds
1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
¼ cup condensed milk
½ vanilla bean, seeds only
3 tablespoons dark rum
- Soak the rice, almonds, and cinnamon overnight in 4 cups of hot water.
- The next day, pour the soaked ingredients and liquid ingredients into a blender. Whiz it until the mixture is very smooth. This could take 3–5 minutes.
- Strain the mixture into a pitcher through a strainer or cheesecloth.
- Add condensed milk, vanilla, and rum, and stir well.
- Fill the molds with the liquid, add sticks, and freeze for 12 hours. Serve with toasted almonds.
The best way to remove pops from the mold is to run the mold under hot water for a few seconds, then gently pull out the pops. If they’re stuck, just put the mold under hot water a little longer.
Made it? Tell us about it–