Ground Rice Pudding garnished with nuts and saffron.
1 tablespoon slivered almonds
1 tablespoon chopped pistachios
31⁄8 cups whole milk
21/2 tablespoon rice flour
5 tablespoons superfine sugar
1 teaspoon rosewater (optional)
5 green cardamoms, seeds only, crushed
a few saffron strands (optional)
- Mix the almonds and pistachios in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Pour 1 cup of milk into a bowl, and add the rice flour. Mix until completely dissolved.
- Gently heat the remaining milk and milk-flour mixture in a heavy-based pan.
- When it begins to boil, add the sugar and mix well, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add half the nuts and rosewater, and continue cooking and stirring until the mixture becomes very thick. This will take about 20–30 minutes.
- Spoon into 4 ramekins and sprinkle with remaining nuts. Leave to cool.
- Serve chilled, garnished with cardamom seeds and saffron strands.
Made it? Tell us about it–