Italian meringue buttercream flavored with homemade lavender oil between layers of cake baked with handpicked, dried lavender buds.
CAKES+RECIPES by Heather Ward of The Scootabaker Desserts | PROPS+FOOD STYLING byAlica Buszczak PHOTOGRAPHY by Andrea Bricco | PROP RENTALS fromCasa de Perrin
Makes a 4-layer, 8-inch cake
8 oz unsalted butter, room temperature
13 oz granulated sugar
6 1⁄2 oz all purpose flour
5 1⁄2 oz cake flour
1 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon dried lavender buds
10 oz buttermilk
purple gel color
Lavender Italian Meringue Buttercream:
3 1⁄2 oz water
14 oz granulated sugar
5 oz egg whites, room temperature
16 oz unsalted butter, cut into 1” cubes
1 cup grape seed oil
1⁄4 cup dried lavender buds
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease the bottoms and sides of 4 cake pans and line with round parchment paper. Grease the parchment too.
- In a large bowl, sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir in lavender buds. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter until lightened in color.
- Add sugar and beat on medium-high until fluffy and lightened in color, about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
- Add eggs and continue beating on high until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- In 3 parts, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, add the flour mixture and buttermilk into the mixer on low speed until incorporated. Turn mixer on high for 10 seconds to achieve a smooth and glossy batter.
- Pour batter evenly between baking pans. Rap pans on the counter to level batter.
- Bake for 28 minutes or until cake doesn’t jiggle when shaken. Allow cake to cool on a wire rack before removing from pans.
- Make lavender oil by combining oil and lavender in a pot and simmering over low heat for 15 minutes or until lavender is fragrant. 11. Strain oil through a sieve into a clean aluminum or glass bowl. Allow to cool completely for using.
- Make Italian meringue buttercream by placing egg whites in bowl of an electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment.
- Combine water and sugar in a pot and allow syrup to boil to 240°F.
- Switch mixer on high, return to boiling syrup and turn off at 244°F.
- Slowly pour hot syrup into the edge of the mixing bowl.
- Leave mixer on high for 10 minutes or until meringue is stiff but not over-mixed and curdled.
- Lower speed to medium-high and add butter cube by cube.
- Mix until butter is fully incorporated and meringue buttercream is smooth.
- Add lavender oil and gel color and mix until incorporated.
- Place 1 layer of cake on a serving tray and add a layer of frosting. Continue with 3 more layers of cake and frosting.
- Frost the rest of the cake with the remaining of frosting.
Made it? Tell us about it–