Sweet and briny bursts of roe make a great complement to softy crunchy carpaccio-style Persian cucumbers and tangy créme fraiche.
7 to 9 Persian cucumbers, rinsed and flower end trimmed
1 lemon, cut into wedges
1⁄3 cup créme fraîche, I always use Vermont Creamery
freshly cracked pepper
4 tablespoons trout roe with more available table-side, to taste
- Slice cucumbers very thinly into ribbons on a mandoline.
- Squeeze 2 lemon wedges over cucumbers and toss to coat.
- Allow cucumbers to marinade in lemon juice for 10 minutes so that the membranes soften slightly.
- Layer slices on plates, dollop créme fraiche, and add a few grinds of freshly cracked pepper.
- Add small spoonfuls of trout roe onto créme fraîche and cucumber slices and serve with remaining lemon wedges.
Crispy flatbreads make a nice addition to this dish.
Made it? Tell us about it–