The pepper crust gives this bread an extra kick!
I got this recipe from an English friend. I especially love it served with sour cream and smoked salmon. It’s also great in a savory bread pudding.
Makes 2 loaves
1 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast
1 1/2 cups warm milk
2 tablespoons melted butter + more for greasing
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons freshly ground pepper
- In a large bowl, mix yeast and warm milk. Let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Add flour, butter, sugar, and salt and work until you have a smooth dough. It’s supposed to be a little loose.
- Cover in plastic and let it rise until double its original size, about 40 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half and place in 2 loaf pans that have been well greased with butter.
- Let them rise again for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 425°F.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a criss-cross pattern on top and sprinkle with pepper.
- Bake until golden, about 30 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Made it? Tell us about it–