A buttery, extra-spiced molasses cookie base topped with a decadent frosting with pecans and a touch of whiskey.
Makes 20 Bars
¾ cup butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
¼ cup blackstrap molasses
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon, ground
1 teaspoon ginger, ground
1 teaspoon cardamom, ground
¼ teaspoon salt
2½ teaspoons baking soda
5 tablespoons salted butter, softened
¼ cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons vanilla instant
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon whiskey
1 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter and sugar for 4 minutes in a stand mixer.
- Add molasses and egg and mix until incorporated.
- Measure out all dry ingredients into a bowl and mix together with a fork.
- With mixer on low, slowly add dry ingredients to egg mixture, and mix until fully incorporated.
- Press dough into a greased 9x9” pan
- Bake for 25 minutes
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely
- For the topping, cream butter, heavy cream, and pudding mix.
- Add whiskey (if you don’t want to use whiskey, add vanilla or an extract of your choice) and mix well.
- With mixer on low, add confectioners’ sugar a bit at a time until all has been incorporated.
- Add pecans and mix well. The topping should be slightly thicker than a regular frosting.
- Spread the topping on the Blondies, let set, and cut into bars.
I used instant pudding mix in my frosting, but you could use Byrd's custard mix if it’s available to you.
Made it? Tell us about it–