I love a warm side salad with just about any meal! The textures of the cauliflower and chickpeas are perfectly complimented by fresh tomatoes.This recipe is from the book Simply Nigella by Nigella Lawson!
Serves 2 heartily or 1 with leftovers
1 small head cauliflower
3 tablespoons regular olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 1/2 cups chickpeas, home-cooked or drained from a can or jar
1 to 2 tablespoons harissa, to taste (and depending on the heat of the harissa)
4 smallish ripe vine tomatoes
1 teaspoon sea salt flakes or kosher salt
3 to 4 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
2 1/2 cups Italian parsley leaves
- Preheat the oven to 425oF.
- Trim the cauliflower and divide into small florets.
- Pour the oil into a large bowl, add the cinnamon and cumin seeds, and stir or whisk to help the spices disperse.
- Tip in the prepared cauliflower and toss to coat.
- Pour the contents of the bowl into a small oven pan (I mostly use a disposable foil baking pan measuring 12”x8”) and place in the oven for 15 minutes. Don’t wash out the bowl you’ve been using just yet.
- Add the chickpeas to this bowl, and add the harissa, tasting it rst to see if you want both tablespoonfuls, and, at the risk of being repetitive, toss to coat.
- Quarter the tomatoes and add them to the bowl, and shake or stir to mix.
- When the cauliflower has had its 15 minutes, remove the pan, quickly tip the chickpeas and tomatoes over the cauliflower, and toss to combine before returning to the oven for a further 15 minutes until the cauliflower is tender.
- When it’s ready, remove from the oven and sprinkle the salt over the vegetables, then (and this isn’t the last time) toss to combine with half of the pomegranate seeds before dividing between 2 bowls.
- Divide the parsley leaves—without chopping them—between the 2 bowls and toss to mix. Scatter with the remaining pomegranate seeds.
Cool leftovers, then cover and refrigerate within 2 hours of making. Will keep in refrigerator for up to 2 days. Serve cold.
Made it? Tell us about it–